Thursday, October 1, 2009

Letter 3

I can't believe how fast this week has gone! Matt wrote again but didn't really have too much to say. Here is the letter:

This one sounds like he started in the middle of a thought...I hope that doesn't mean I missed something earlier.
Dear Britta
I'm not back up to where I was with sit ups and push ups, but I've got the mile and a half run time down. The second day of PT I had was so intense, because they pushed us a bit after the normal PT time, my whole body was shaking from pushing myself past muscle failure several times. Since then it hasn't been that horrific.
I'm glad you have family and friends to help you out.
I've made a few friends, mainly Powell, Merriman, and Simpson (their beds are near mine).
The days here are long, but the weeks are short, and its only going to speed up as the next several weeks are packed with stuff from obstacle courses, the gas chamber (this week , or last by the time you get this letter), shooting our weapons (we've already learned to take them apart and put them back together [my best time is 53 seconds and I average just over a minute but we get nearly 4 minutes for the test] and how to clean the M16A2), then its BEAST week followed by all of the tests both physical and written and then I get to see you at graduation!
Wow! When I put it like that it feels like its just around the corner, but it feels like I've been here forever now that I'm used to the schedule/life here.
Oh, Garrett wanted to know where I got the metal wire for the chain mail; I didn't buy it, our group leader did, but I believe he bought it online from a metal company somewhere in Canada. It was 14 gauge steel and cam in a 1/4 mile roll, which was enough for a large shirt and a few small items. It was around $60 and that was several years ago.
Thank you for the smell! (the body spray you put on one of the first letters). I didn't realize it at first, but as I was rereading it for questions I recognized the smell and spent the next several minutes just sniffing the letter and grinning like an idiot. It was great!
Well, I got to go now, so I'll write more later.
Matthew

The second page in the envelope was dated a few days later
Dear Britta
Wow I've been missing you lately. I currently have 2 letters from you that I haven't been able to read yet because of lack of time. We get mail Monday through Friday evenings, even though mail comes on Saturdays, we don't get it till Monday, which is always a big day.
As I've said before there are 4 (including me) married people in my flight, but quite a few others are either engaged or planning on being engaged soon. Not everyone, but a lot of people are curious and like hearing about each others home, family...
You've probably received a letter already to go to a base and get TriCare and ID and all, since I got you in the system yesterday. Life insurance: I'm automatically on some along with Emmaline and that can't be changed but we can elect to put you on if we want, I don't know how much that would be.
Got to go.
Well, writing privileges are pretty much out the window again, even reading is next to nil. I love you and I'll write when I can.
Matthew

Sounds like things are going well for him- he is fitting in with the guys and almost to where he needs to be for physical graduation tests. Remember that you are more than welcome to write to him, I'm sure he'll really appreciate hearing from anyone who takes the time.

No comments: