Thursday, September 24, 2009

Letter numero dos!

Yea! Another letter! I'm so happy when I hear from Matt. It makes my whole day taste like peach cobbler!

Here is what he said:

Dear Britta
This is on the back of the BMTSC (Basic Military Training Study Guide) along with some other stuff and I liked it.
Warrior Virtues ("The Guide for the Righteous Protector" Eramus 1503)
"Make virtue the only goal of your life. Don't assume that doing good allows you to keep a few vices. Speak with yourself in this way: If I do what I am considering, would I want my family to know about it? Life can be sad, difficult and quick; make it count for something. (Since we do not know when death will come, act honorably every day.)

Well, writing here is a privilege and as you can tell its not everyday we get to write. I miss you a lot and when we had our writing privilege revoked for those first two weeks, that hurt more than all the push ups, flutter kicks, and what not we had to do. I had started a letter before we were told not to write but I shredded it up so it wouldn't be found and seen as if I was breaking the rules.

There are, or were, 56 people in our flight. We all sleep in a single dorm broken into two bays. Half of the beds are bunk-beds and the rest are singles. Four people have been recycled (3 for stupid stuff, which they were caught for and one because he got dehydrated and sick.) There are several that are head and shoulders beyond me, but I'm definitely more mature than 70% of the group and I'm doing okay physically as well. My back got rubbed raw from sit ups and cross-knee-crunches on rough black-top/concrete.

Our main MTI (SSgt. Boone) is a slightly short lady and is teamed up with a larger guy (SSgt. Horvath). Its tough sometimes going from sir to mam and back. All our clothes and stuff goes in lockers.

I n the morning we wake up to reveille, which I've really come to dislike, grab our gear and immediately head downstairs for PT. After either running for 30-35 minutes or doing a bunch of push ups, sit ups, squats, etc...we shower (10 mins per bay [~27 people] including shaving, brushing teeth...) make beds, get ready for breakfast and do our details (making the dorm look perfect). We're given about 40 minutes for all of that, sometimes we have a little longer. As far as it being weird showering with a bunch of other guys, we're in too much of a hurry to really thing about it but sometimes, yes.

Things aren't too hard, you just have to listen, pay attention and do it (Perfectly!). WE learn new stuff pretty much everyday. Sometimes its drills and others its procedures and yet others its rules and ethics.

I'm reading my scriptures when I can and I've been able to use my priesthood at church a couple times, that was really neat. One Sunday I was stuck with KP all day, that really stunk. It is hard being around all the swearing; everyone in the flight knows I don't like it and many are trying to curb their language but there is still a lot of it. Oh, church is a 30 minute march to and from the chapel and is two hours long instead of three as that is as long as any trainee gets for religious study. There are 2 other LDS members in my flight and three other married men.

I loved being able to talk to you on the phone and I can hardly wait till I get that opportunity again :) It was great being able to sing Happy Birthday to Emmaline and hear her saying "Daddy".

Well, tomorrow is Sunday, so I'll put this in the mail and start on the next letter.
Oh, as far as what we can do: The base hotel is off limits for me unless I'm invited and get a letter of permission from my section supervisor (the guy with the recycle switch/red button) so we'll see. I've heard that Sea World has a big discount for the military so that's a possibility. you will be able to come to the dorm for a little bit and see what life here was like. Bring a stroller and good walking shoes as walking will be the major transportation in some areas.

I love you!
Matthew

It sounds like he is doing really well now. Don't forget to write him if you get a chance. He loves getting letters and it makes all the guys in his group jealous.

No comments: