Saturday, October 17, 2009

Last BMT letter

I think this was my favorite letter of all of them...maybe because I know its the last until I see him!

Dear Britta
Well, this will be the last letter I write during BMT because if I wrote next week it wouldn't get to you before I see you. :)
Well, I got back from BEAST yesterday, we didn't get excellence, but our flight did the best out of the four flights in our sector. WE only had 1 demerit. The hardest thing with BEAST was the weight of all the gear and the sweat factor when we were in MOPP 4, also I had a strap that was twisted and cutting into my head that I couldn't fix for about 45 mins. There was no actual cut or blood but there was a deep, red, indentation afterwards; it hurt!
This week we get to start wearing our blues :) Also we have a lot of evaluations and classes this week. (Drill, PT, etc...)
When you come for graduation please bring one of the cell phone chargers to leave with me while I'm at Tech School. That's what I'm looking forward to most of all as far as my new liberties will be. Yes, I did get your letters during BEAST. Thank you for the letters and thank you for being a strong light and motivation to me. The Lord and you have been a great strength to me here and have helped me push forward and stand tall. THANK YOU!!
This week I'm picking up several pictures of me and memorabilia, I ordered a bit but I figured it would help me share my experience here with you. (Its going to cost $120+ and I 'm just about out of money on the smart card, so all my expenses here on out will need to be on the debit card. Hopefully its not too much.) I bought a few pics, a DvD, a 'year book' and a large collection of photos on a cd. We didn't have a lot of time to think about what to order so I did what I thought was best but I wish I hadn't ordered the pics of me in my blues, because I was wearing my BC glasses and could always get blues pics at any photo place later on. Oh well, what's done is done. :{
This week we watched/are watching Conference (recorded). Some of the talks have really hit me. I'm so glad the church is on the earth and that we have a prophet and apostles to lead and teach us. The church is true. The Lord Jesus Christ lives and loves all of us.
The weather here has been a bit chilly in comparison to a few days ago but its still probably much warmer here than where you are. During BEAST it was still warm and we did have a black flag almost every day (meaning its too hot to do PT and other work that could possibly cause dehydration, heat exhaustion and heat stroke) ~90+ degrees. The last day of BEAST though we had a Huge storm where we were ordered into a hardened shelter for a little over an hour. It became really muddy and messy. I'm just glad that the weather up until the end was nice.
Well, church is ending in a few minutes so I guess I need to wrap this letter up. I love you and hope I get a patio break/base lib so I can call and talk to you a bit more. I miss you and I miss talking to you and hearing your voice. I'll see you later!
Matthew

Matt refers to his BC glasses- for those who don't know- they aren't allowed to wear their own glasses during Basic because of the chance they'd get broken. Instead the military creates these really big, ugly but incredibly durable glasses to give their trainees. They are rumored to be so ugly that they are a form of birth control. Hence- BC glasses. Luckily I don't have to worry about that:)
And...Matt referred to me bringing a cell phone charger but little does he know...I actually bought him a new phone! I hope he'll like it. His old one was about 2 years old and having issues so I upgraded. It'll be good.
When we get all the pics and such that Matt purchased I'll try to put some online. I'm totally excited that he decided to get all those 'memories' and I can't wait for him to tell me all about his experience during basic. (These letters don't really do it justice...)

No comments: