Friday, October 9, 2009

Second to Last Letter

The letter I received yesterday should be the second to last letter I receive while Matt is in Basic. There is always the chance I won't get a letter next week or that he ends up sending me a letter that I get while I'm actually in Texas so don't hold me to that.

Dear Britta and Emmaline :)
This is the first time I've gotten to write in 1 1/2 weeks and I'll mail it off tomorrow. My favorite activity thus far has been the shooting range (Thursday). I scored 43/50=Expert! and another badge at graduation! :) Puggle sticks was a mad house, there was very little skill put into it because no one cared if they got hit, they just wanted to pound the other guy. The gas chamber last week was a bit painful, but it wore off after a few minutes but left a good impression to make sure your mask is good.
I've had 2.5 (didn't get to finish one) MREs. They weren't bad, in fact what I had for the most part was pretty good. Today we prepared a lot for BEAST, tomorrow we pack for it and leave early Monday morning. We'll be tested on SABC (Self Aid Buddy Care), defenses and a few other things along with general setting up a base/ tent-city. I just hope we do really well, since we've been the "laughing stock" of the squadron, mainly because we've had so many different TIs who have their own different way of doing things or are just learning to be a TI, which messes us up a fair amount.
Today we had a PLA check (Personal Living Area) (Bed, wall locker...) I was 1 of 3 in about 18 that had 0, nil, zip, none...demerits! That felt just as good as getting expert marksman!
This Sunday the military changed the time we go to church from 1430-1630 (230-430 pm) to about 0750-0950 (715-915), early. we'll probably be watching part of Saturday's General Conference.
Its supposed to rain during BEAST, which would be a bummer and cancel several of the activities out and make it harder to achieve BEAST Excellence.
Some crazy stories or things people have done here...one trainee from our brother flight refused to do several things a TI and higher asked and even talked back to them. He ended up being arrested, put in jail for a couple of days and sent to the 319 TRS (the squadron for the sick, weak or otherwise messed up and require more time to pas basic, even if that time takes a year or more.)
During 2nd week we had an initial PLA check (I had 18 demerits that time, which is bad, but still better than a lot of others in the flight. Well, I had been told that it would be like a whirlwind went through, but it was more like a full blown hurricane :0! (Mattresses everywhere, bed frames including bunk beds knocked over and thrown (one post got bent and several wall lockers were dinged up) clothes dumped on the floor, etc...)
This last week one trainee who had the best looking bed and e-fold was given a 15 minute patio-break. Every trainee's dream. That was a bummer it wasn't me, but it was cool that another trainee did get it.
D&C 121 if thou shalt endure it well...it shall be but a small moment... they friends do stand by thee. (A scripture just brought up during a testimony that really struck me now). :)
I miss you and Emmaline and even our pea-sized-baby-yet-to-be. I love you so much and I'm doing my best to stay strong.
Well, got to go now. :)
Love Matthew

It struck me as funny how many different little smiley faces he added into this letter. Either he's trying to make me feel good or he was feeling pretty good himself!

I must say that I'm totally proud and not at all surprised that he received 0 demerits on his inspection and that he received the marksmanship award. He is a very precise person and those are two things that he'll always excel at.

Only a week and a half until I get to go see him. I hope to have another phone call and letter before then but if not, I'll make sure I take and post many many different pictures when I do see him!

No comments: