Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hearing His Voice!

Matt called today. I totally didn't expect it (have I really expected any of the calls?). I guess he got a day of base leave and took off to Subway for dinner and hooked up with the payphone to call me. We got to talk for about 20 minutes but he was being nice and wanted to let some of the other guys get a few minutes in before their time was up (he didn't have much longer anyway).

We talked about when we get to see eachother again, how big Emmaline is growing and how much she is learning, what places he is going to put on his dream sheet (where we will be stationed), and more.

He mentioned some good news...he said he put it in his letter that I'll get this week so I get to hear about it twice. But he said that his flight went to the shotting grounds this week (I don't know the official name) and he and 7 other guys recieved the Marksmanship award! I think that means that he shot over a certain number of accurate shots or something. I'm hoping I'll get a good description in the letter. His award is getting to wear another ribbon when he graduates!

His flight is supposedly known as the joke flight because there are so many guys doing stupid stuff. Its a bit sad because I (of course) want Matt to be perfect and part of everything perfect and, well, a joke flight isn't perfect. Just as long as they aren't such a joke that they don't graduate on time!

I write to him several times a week and last week he recieved all my letters but didn't get a chance to read any of them until today. I can imagine that would have been very difficult on him. My letters are generally around 10-11 pages long and I tell him a lot. Reading three or four letters all at once must have seemed like a novel! But he said he really really enjoyed it.

One of my friends, Valerie, sent Matt a picture of Emmaline that he said was so cute. And he said that he loved the other picture that I sent him (just a pic of Emmaline and myself at the zoo).

He wanted to call back and promised he'd try but it was so close to the end of his day and there were other guys wanting to make calls too. I suspect that he wasn't able to get ahold of a free phone to call me back.

Countdown: We'll be in Texas in 17 days!

No comments: