Saturday, October 30, 2010

Korean Folk Village

My most recent trip was up to a Korean Folk Village between Osan and Seoul. This time I just went with some friends from Church rather than with the CAC (Community Activities Center) which saved me about $25 or so.
Just passed the entrance was a shopping/ restaurant area, which we came back to for dinner. I got an onion pancake since I enjoyed the one I had on my first tour. This one ended up using way too much onion and not enough of the meat, but it wasn't too bad.
Some of the items in the were really cool, but most were a little too costly for me. If I was rich I would of probably walked out with a lot of trinkets like the pressure point sandals, or a pewter warrior, or maybe even the gold-leafed piggy bank, which was the size of my two fists put together, because it was really cute. But I'm not sure I'd want a piggy bank that is worth more than the money I could fit inside it. :) There was also a bazaar at the far end of the village, which is where I bought my little girls a parasol and a milkshake in a bag, which was Delicious!

The first building we stopped at was the equivalent to the court house. Here's where the leaders would try you and set your punishment...
... which was carried out in the court yard if it was serious enough, by beating you as you were tied down or breaking your legs. Ouch!
If the crime was less serious you simply were locked up and probably given poor food. Here's me locked up in a neck bar. "I'm Sorry" *sniff* *sniff* :)

They had some costumes that the little kids could dress up in. They were too adorable not to get a picture of them.

We saw a lot of different styles of housing, depending on where in Korea they were found and different time periods. Here's a black smith shop, where they made and sold kitchen knives, gardening tools, shears, and horse shoes.
The coolest houses were of course the richer and more official type buildings.
The two shots below were from where they filmed one of the videos "The Kind and I".
Just a nice gazebo with some beautiful surroundings.
There was even a haunted house with little goblins on the roof. It was only 3,000 Won so I decided to be festive and go in. We were told not to take pictures of the inside, so sorry you'll have to miss out in the paper-mache, black-light painted horror scenes and creatures that were a bit ridiculous. I did get startled twice though when Bro. Baumgarten poked me from behind at the same time one of the scenes lit up (they were motion sensor-ed) and when a loud jet of air was blasted in my face near the end.
One of the last cool buildings I saw was this water wheel mill.
There was also a large stream/ shallow river that ran through the middle of the village with several types of bridges, from this wood one to stepping stones, to a cut and laid stone bridge.
This is one of the two boats that the had set out on the water, the other one was more of a large raft with a small hut and a cooking area (an ancient boat-house)

There was also a bunch of photo spots that we stopped at and took a few fun photos.

One of the best part was the shows that they had.
Music and dancing,
Horse-back riding and feats,
And a tight-rope walker.


No comments: