Saturday, October 30, 2010

Another Tour

My second tour I got to go on was a lot different from my first one. And a bit further away too. It took a couple hours to get to our first destination, Kosu Caves. We had to park a little ways a way because there's a market just outside of the caves and it was packed. If you zoom in to the image you can see the mouth of the cave and people walking up to it just to the left of the center.

Along the path to the cave I saw this cool little foot bridge. Although it looked plenty sturdy, I was still a little glad we didn't have to cross it. :)

After paying a small fee I climbed up and into the cave. This is a better view of the entrance. There was a lot of people from our group as well as other people checking it out, which made it a bit crowded once I was inside. And it made it so you traveled through it at the same pace as everyone else, having to wait for those in front of you, but not wanting to hold up everyone else behind.

This vine-like tree made a neat, if not totally dry, covering at the entrance.
Some parts of the cave were a bit open and often either had a steep incline or decline coming in and out of those areas, while other parts you had to bend over and nearly crawl.
The black squares are pads just in case you didn't duck low enough or brought your head up too early on a far side. I was lucky enough not to have needed them.

This was one of the sites I liked a bit more, with the pools of water. It was quite wet and drops of water kept falling on our heads. Some areas had mist falling down more than large water droplets.

Ah, Light at the end of the tunnel.
Once I exited, there was a long line of markets, before we even got to the parking area. Since it was getting close to our anniversary I spent some time looking at what they had to offer and ended up buying a little gilded elephant and palm tree statue.

Destination #2 was a boat ride across Lake Chungju to one of the largest Asian dams. After buying tickets we had some time to wait, so we got lunch, it was a lot cheaper, but not nearly as good as the last time I ate out. The sweet potato fries were VERY stale and the other stuff (still not sure what it all was) was a bit too spicy.
When it was almost time for our boat to arrive we headed down to the dock, and down we went to since there were no steps and it was quite steep. I didn't quite fall, but I did use the hand rails to help keep me from tumbling.
Some photos of the beautiful surroundings on the boat ride.






I was kind of sad to see the dam, cause that meant the ride was over and it was perfect weather. There was little to no wind, but the speed of the boat created a perfect breeze to cool us down, since it was a bit warm out.

On the way back to the base we stopped for a bathroom break and a snack. I ended up buying an ice-cream and strawberry crepe for 3,000 Won (about $2.80 or so) Well worth the cost, it was delicious, but a little messy.

No comments: