Monday, February 22, 2010

Field Trip

Matt got to go on a field trip last weekend to some Korean attractions. He got to go to a beach, a waterfall and to a local Korean temple. He got some fun pictures to look at:
The walk near the beach. He said that this was actually the ocean, not just a lake or something. So thats cool, Matt's been to the Indian ocean!
This is a view of low tide at the beach. Thats a lot of beach! The building in the back ground is a resort.

This was a lunch Matt chose to get. It cost him 10,000 won (equal to about $8.50). He said it was sort of like a pancake with onions, carrots and squid tenticles on top.

This is a picture of the local temple he visited. He said that most of the old buildings have this asian feel but most of the modern buildings are the same as you would see in the US.

This is another view of the temple, and, of course, Matt!


These are guardians of the temple. I don't know much about Korean religions but I picture Mulan (I know...its China but its almost the same!) and how all the guardians of the temples are the family's ancestors. So maybe these are ancestors too...


Matt thought the fountain was cute and was puzzled why people would be drinking from it. But I saw the picture and that was the first thing that I thought- that it was there for people to drink from. I'm again assuming but I think its there for the superstition that you can get healing or good luck or something similar from the fountain.

This is a view of the waterfall from the top of it. Matt said that he balanced himself and then reached as far over the edge as he could manage before snapping the picture. I prefer not to think about it... I'm not nearly that daring and I probably would have covered my eyes while Matt was doing it had I been there!

This is a beautiful picture. Matt said this is the water that plunged over the waterfall. Seems like a tiny stream to become a waterfall. Maybe during the spring its bigger- when the snow is all melted or something.

Matt standing right in front of the waterfall. He said it was beautiful there... and you can tell it would be amazing. It seems like it would be even more amazing when everything is green. I wonder if Matt can go back and get more pictures?
This is the path up to the waterfall. Again, wouldn't it be amazing if it were green?

This is a frozen lake that they passed on the way to the waterfall. Matt pointed out that if you look closely on top of the rock you can see a fence- so they pretty much walked around the lake.
Matt said there are excursions just about every week. He's going to try to go on one every month so he can see a lot of what Korea has to offer. I hope he'll get pictures of the cities one day. I think it would be interesting to see what they are really like.

1 comment:

Jenne said...

These pictures are wonderful. Thank you for sharing.